Friday, March 30, 2007

Sully Makes a Slip Up...

In his post here, he makes the statement:

"I can live within a coalition with people who oppose my right to marry the man I love. But I cannot live within a coalition that would amend the federal constitution to forbid it for ever in every state." [Italics mine]

I can understand Sully's loyalty to the GOP, after all I have the same loyalty to the DNC, but what I can't understand is that first statement. How can anyone ally themselves with an organization that stands against such a profound and important interest as choosing who they will decide to marry? This shouldn't be a subject of compromise for a gay person. I have had to make compromises with the DNC and their candidates on a number of issues, including their current Iraqi withdrawal program, which I consider vague and loose. But I can still hold my allegiance because regardless of the wiffy language their overall goal still coincides with my desire for US forces to leave Iraq. Likewise I am for a gas tax and a carbon tax. Now the DNC hasn't come out for one, but their overall goal of reducing carbon emissions and our dependence on foreign fuels, once again, coincides with my own. Compromise is based on the fact that you have a common goal but approach it from different directions, but there can be no compromise (and likewise, no partnership) when there is no common goal. The GOP has been pretty much stalwart in their stance against gay marriage and to ally yourself with a group that works directly against your goals because of loyalty isn't honorable it's just plain dumb.

No comments:

LabPixies TV