Thursday, March 29, 2007

Giving Rick Stengel His Say

Rick Stengel, managing editor of Time Magazine, and member of the panel that laughed away the idea of hauling Darth Maul, er Karl Rove in front of Congress, and harshly criticized for it, explains why he thought that would be a bad move for the Democrats and the US:

"In reading your reaction to my comments on Chris Matthews, I realize that I've been caught out speaking as a citizen rather than as editor of Time. Lord knows, the Democrats going after Karl Rove is "interesting" in an objective way for Time and for journalists in general. It's hard to overstate Rove's role in this administration and it would certainly create yards of headlines and good copy if the Democrats manage to get some traction. But as a citizen, I think it's unfortunate and perhaps short-sighted for Democrats to be perceived as focusing on the past rather than the future. If people see the Democrats as obsessively concerned with settling scores, that's not good for the Democrats or the country. And I would make the exact same statement about the Republicans if they were in this situation. Meanwhile, the next time I’m on Chris Matthews, I’ll muzzle my citizen’s thoughts."

Sully slaps him here. What boggles my mind is that--as a journalist and a citizen--you would think that would be something he would have a personal interest in. Fact is though, journalists are a dying breed and the media is either for entertainment or the dissemination of lies. Turns out that the Justice department isn't the only institution whose 'trust is corroding'. And on that note I'd also like to mention that Barack Obama just happens to have really invented the Internet and George Bush eats babies. True story.

No comments:

LabPixies TV