Friday, June 13, 2008

Not Hyped for The Hulk


The critics are apathetic and so am I. I don't get too amped about The Hulk in the same way I don't get amped about Superman. Why? Because you're dealing with two 'superheros' that are more super than hero. I mean really? Who the hell challenges the Hulk? Hell, he doesn't even have a kryptonite of his own? His biggest weakness? His girlfriend, Betsy Ross, who, let's face it, isn't all that hot. His biggest foe? The Abomination who's really just The Hulk with alot of spikes. Hell, at least Bizzaro said really stupid (yet funny) stuff. You wanna see The Hulk and The Abomination fight? Might was well watch a Kimbo Slice backyard brawl.
The really kick in the pants is that the real drama of The Hulk's character lies in his psychology, that battle between his superego (Banner) and his Id (Hulk), and that's why I really didn't mind Ang Lee's adaptation. At least it was honest. But psychological dramas aren't exactly the stuff of summer blockbusters and that's why The Hulk will always be a loser film. Ultimately people will come in to watch The Hulk tear shit up, but being that there's no challenge it'll be 90 minutes of violent masturbation.

2 comments:

Gib said...

Saw it this weekend, and I actually liked it. I thought it was a decent telling of the TV series, which was basically The Fugitive with a big green monster making periodic appearances.

Not as good as Iron Man, but better than Spider-Man 3. Plus I got to see a Hellboy 2 trailer, and I'm really amped to see that when it comes out.

Anonymous said...

Her name is Betty Ross, not Betsy Ross...

LabPixies TV