Friday, January 18, 2008

Is That What You REALLY Meant?

From Ambinder:

"A new radio ad in South Carolina from Sen. Hillary Clinton.... Magic Johnson implies that Barack Obama is a "hyped" "rookie" who needs more seasoning. Check it out:


"This is Magic Johnson. On the court and in life, successful leadership comes from hard work and experience. That’s why I’m endorsing Hillary Clinton for President. We have great candidates this year, but I believe only Hillary is a proven leader, with 35 years’ experience dealing with challenges facing America. Are you looking for better jobs, universal health care, better treatment for veterans, opportunities for your children? Then you want Hillary Clinton for President. My rookie year, we won our first game on a last second shot. I was so hyped. But the captain of my team said, “take it easy rookie, it’s a long season, it’s a long road to the championship.” He was right. Winning comes from years of hard work and preparation. Whether it’s winning championships or a President who can lead us back to greatness, I’ll always want the most prepared and experienced person leading my team. That’s why I’m asking you to join me in voting for Hillary Clinton for President."


Here's my beef, if I'm reading this correctly, Magic's trying to say that he was like Obama, a rookie, and that experience (Clinton) is what wins championships. But...it just so happens that in Magic's rookie year he led the Lakers to a championship and had one of the most astounding rookie years in NBA history, leading the league in triple doubles (second only to Oscar Robinson), starting on the All-star team, and winning the NBA's MVP Finals award.

So I ask again; Magic, is this REALLY what you meant?

UPDATE: I thought I could beat Yglesias to this. Silly me.

No comments:

LabPixies TV