Thursday, March 09, 2006

Predictions...

I was talking to my father the other day (he may be the only man more into politics than I am, and I am positive he loathes Bush more than any one on the planet), and I brought up the topic of the Democrat's failure to stand up to the Bush administration. In fact I believe my actual words were "the Democrats are spineless cowards." My Dad, also a life long Democrat, believes that the Democratic strategy is a political rope-a-dope (and with Bush in office that term becomes so much more literal). He sees the Democrats as hopelessly outpowered by a Republican controlled executive, Congress, and Supreme Court, and feels that they are weathering the storm, and staying off the impeachment raft until the fall elections, hoping that GOP is hoisted by its own petards. I can concede that point, but I am definitely worried that the Fall will be an echoing of the 2004 presidential elections, where, as Clinton would say, people voted for the wrong guy rather than the right guy with no vision. To me kicking the Republicans now should be like shooting ducks in a barrel, or saying that the sky is blue or Jesus is good. Only the nuts will disagree, and it shows that you're willing to stand for something.

Yet my father has a bit of a sagacious quality about him. He knew in 2000 that George W. Bush, if elected, would be the worse President of all time. And further more, he knew that Bush would go on to beat Kerry in 2004. To my father this isn't just a partisan battle, but views the Bush administration is a referendum on the future of America, and that, should the GOP be tossed out and Bush impeached, it wouldn't be just about a changing of the guard, but it would be the next evolution of America, just as World War II, and FDR echoed in our technological age.

Of course, I'm a bit simpler than he is. I just see two boxers in the ring and I want one to knock the head off the other. But where as I see that Bush hurts America, and I want the hurt to end, my father sees America as infected, and he wants a cure. Who's right? I wish I knew, but at the least I think I should give some credence to my father's experience. I only wish I believed that the leadership of the DNC was as wise.

No comments:

LabPixies TV