Saturday, March 04, 2006

I support Jay Bennish!

Now I mentioned Bennish before, as an example of what some of the conservative media has been focusing on instead of the Bush tape. Yet the more I read about this story, and especially the transcript of the tape of Bennish's lecture, the more angry and upset I become. This guy is catching and exceptionally raw deal.

The link above takes you to a copy of Bennish's syllabus. I'd like to quote one section of it here:

"More than answering the question "what is where," this course adopts a conceptual approach to understanding and explaining the dynamic human and natural features of the earth’s surface. Particular geographic themes will be emphasized and applied largely to the regions of South, East, and Southeast Asia, the Middle East (North Africa & South West Asia), Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America, Eastern Europe and Russia, and Australia. Important themes include: population, religion, human rights, notions of development and underdevelopment, impact of colonialism historically and currently, sustainability, impacts of modernization on developing countries, globalization of economy and culture, political and international conflict, cultural diversity, and global environmental concerns. To that end, a deeper understanding of current events from a historical and geographical perspective is imperative. Thus, timely issues and events in the news will be tied into the overall framework of the course."

While I admit that this stuff might be over the head's of most High Schoolers, this is precisely they type of curriculum that needs to be taught in High Schools. This is engaging material, that works on everything that the American education system lacks--critical thinking and reading ablity, rhetorical skills, and creating rational arguements.

I know that it is exactly these types of teachers that I remember from school, who challeneged me to do more than memorize material. Hell, I used to try to instigate conversations in History and English classes about politics and the first Gulf war which was going on during that time. Sure I had my opinions, but I wanted to know more--I wanted to hear other thoughts on the subject. Now where would I go to stimiluate my mind? Guess it can't be school!

Bennish is far from some insane ranter, trying to promote his perticular agenda. He answers questions rationally, and listens to dissenting opinions. He is completely respectful to his students. But I think the thing that bugs me the most, and is really the key to what makes this situation so tragic, is what he says at the end of the lecture:

"Alright, and so this becomes very, very muddled. And I'm not in any way implying that you should agree with me. I don't even know if I'm necessarily taking a position. But what I'm trying to get you to do is to think, right, about these issues more in-depth, you know, and not just take things from the surface. And I'm glad you asked all your questions, because they're very good, legitimate questions. And hopefully that allows other people to begin to think about some of those things, too."

Thinking. That's what this is all about, and something that's become an anathema in the US. Heaven freaking help that a TEACHER, presents an IDEA to his CLASS. Especially if that IDEA, doesn't state that America is the greatest thing since Jesus Christ to hit the world.

We all pray to have a better system of education. We all say we want bigger schools, with more facilities and more teachers. But all that will be meaningless unless we allow ideas and thoughts to be freely discussed by both teachers and students and encourage critical thinking.

And that's why I support Jay Bennish.

1 comment:

Idyllic Youth said...

i support jay bennish too

LabPixies TV