Wednesday, June 20, 2007

More of the Downward Sprial That is Iraq

More Mosques destroyed in Iraq:

"BAGHDAD - Gunmen blew up two Sunni mosques Wednesday south of Baghdad, causing heavy damage but no casualties, police said, in an apparent retaliatory attack a day after a suicide truck bombing devastated a revered Shiite mosque in the heart of the capital, killing at least 87 people."

Many of you might wonder why, if Muslims are so reverent of their religion, why would these different sects go around blowing up each other's holy sites. One thing you have to understand, and believe me the Bush administration didn't understand it, is that the two major sects of Islam in Iraq, the Sunnis and the Shia, don't believe the other is a "real" Muslim. Last year I taught a class at City College, and one of my assignments was for students to write about something they felt passionately about. One of my students, a Sunni Muslim, told me about his religion and also about his feelings regarding the Shia. And while he didn't call for their elimination or anything that radical it was obvious that he didn't think of them as 'real' Muslims and his disdain for them was apparent. It opened my eyes up to sectarianism, and told me that there's bound to be alot of grief in that area for a while. If you're interested to know more, check out the Wiki link here.

No comments:

LabPixies TV