Tuesday, August 19, 2008

21 Should Only Be Blackjack

According to Ezra, some powerful people want to lower the drinking age:

"A 100 college presidents -- including the executives of Dartmouth, Duke, and Syracuse -- have signed a letter calling on Congress to lower the drinking age to 18. "Twenty-one is not working," they say. "A culture of dangerous, clandestine 'binge drinking' -- often conducted off-campus -- has developed.""

Not quite sure about the logic of this argument. After all, why should making drinking legal stop binge drinking? I've been binge drinking since I was 17, and if they had of lowered the legal drinking age to 17 I...would have still been binge drinking. People binge drink not because they're "rebelling against the system" but because, like Samuel Jackson Beer, "It'll get cha f_cked up!"

By the way I'm all for lowering the drinking age. I think it's obscene that we, as a nation, can send kids to die and kill but don't allow them to have a nice, soothing Colt 45. Also, as a patron of bars, I think 18, 19, and 20 year old women should have the chance to hang out with me. It's only right.

3 comments:

Kiko Jones said...

"I think it's obscene that we, as a nation, can send kids to die and kill but don't allow them to have a nice, soothing Colt 45."

Amen.

(You might want to add being able to get married, buy property, form a corporation, etc etc etc without parental consent once you hit 18, but not to pop a cold one.)

Have you heard some of the illogical points made defending the 21-to-drink/18-for-everything-else argument? Not from politicians but from average people. It makes it painfully clear that most people are idiots and why we've had 8 yrs of Shrub and a VERY LIKELY 4 yrs of McSame.

Gib said...

Also, as a patron of bars, I think 18, 19, and 20 year old women should have the chance to hang out with me.

Bouncers have been letting attractive underage women into bars since the dawn of recorded history. Lowering the drinking age would simply allow 18-20 year old men into the bar as well, forcing you to compete with them for the young ladies' attention.

If anyone needs me, I'll be at the gym.

Kiko Jones said...

Damn it: Gib's right!

LabPixies TV