Friday, September 14, 2007

Maybe I'm Being Sensitive But...

Not sure how many people heard about this story but on Long Island yesterday it was reported that one of the contestants on the TV show Top Chef, Josie Smith-Malave, who happens to be a lesbian, was beaten by a pack of thugs who screamed epithets at her and her friends while beating them up. Here's how the story was reported in the Post yesterday.

But today the follow up report was under this headline: Arrest in TV Chef's "Gay Bash". Ok, maybe I'm being sensitive (Fox News tells me that liberals have a tendency to be this way) but what's up with the quotation marks around Gay Bash? I mean, were the suspects quoted screaming "Gay bash!" as they beat her? Or was someone at the Post trying to be witty and make a pun on Chef? If so, the comedy was inappropriate, and just not funny. Or, worse yet, is the author trying to throw doubt as to whether the woman was gay-bashed at all? I've seen the quotation marks used in that manner. Either way it seems sort of offensive to me considering the subject matter. I mean how would it look if they published these headlines:

US Marine "murdered" in Iraq.

Woman gets "gang-raped" by twenty men.

Suspects in terror get "tortured". (Oh wait, they use that one in City Journal).

Anyway, you get the point. Maybe I am being sensitive, but well, whatever. Sue me.

No comments:

LabPixies TV