Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Enough is enough....


Tacky? Yeah, but this little cartoon on the left is inciting fierce violence against...yep, you got it the Danes.

All over the Arab world Danish visitors are getting beaten after this and other Arab critical satirical cartoons were run in several Danish newspapers. The Jordanians feel that such cartoons are heresy, while the left...well the left seems pretty dammed absent from the whole debate. The Danish papers have been apologizing for the whole thing, and Bill Clinton (now staring in Brokeback Mountain 2 with George Bush Sr.) chimed in with this:

"None of us are totally free of stereotypes about people of different races, different ethnic groups, and different religions ... There was this appalling example in northern Europe, in Denmark ... these totally outrageous cartoons against Islam."

Look, I love me some Bill Clinton. No seriously, if I could vote the man back in as President I would, but some one has got to step up to the plate to defend free speech. The ACLU? Anyone?

This is one of the things I hate about modern politics. It always seems as if you have to be on one side of the fence at all times. If you're liberal then you have to be as PC and apologetic as possible, and if you're on the right you're a complete dick who doesn't have the word sorry in their vocabulary (Bush! Cough, cough). We're worlds away from a time when someone said "tread softly and carry a big stick." Listen, I love my free speech even more than Bill Clinton. If other countries don't want it then I can respect that, and I'm not going to bomb them to enforce my love of free speech. But at the same time, I'm not going to change, within my own borders, my rights either. There is a certain respect that the law must be given and a certain respect that life must be given, and never the twain shall meet. I still believe that it is Western politics that have shaped anti-westernism in the Middle East, but if it so happens that a few of them get upset over a comic strip, then pull the Danish out and cut trade. It's one thing to invade one of their countries, but screw 'em if they can't take a joke.

No comments:

LabPixies TV