Wednesday, January 25, 2006

All in? Should have called it Dead Money


I gotta tell you, every time I see Dennis Miller I feel as if I'm transported back to a better age. I think of his halcyon days on SNL, the quirky laugh, the head bob, the jokes that make you feel like a member of MENSA if you could identify what the hell he was talking about, and I'm happy.

Then he opens his mouth.

Like many comedians who've been around the industry for decades, survived their drug addictions, and the multiple sexual escapades of life on the road to go on to have kids, a wife and a nice house with the white picket fence, Miller, as shown in his last HBO special "All In," seems to have thrown away all shred of his creative former non-conformist persona and traded it for the security of stereotypes and jingoistic material. He's become the Kid Rock of the comedy circuit. The Toby Keith of chuckles. He's a Republican, and a conservative and he wants everyone to know it.

Now I don't mean to go on a rant here, but I'm personally getting sick of guys who spend the first thirty years of their life sniffing, smoking, and sexing everything that comes across their path, only to have a kid, marry the only woman who can tolerate their antics, and then thinks that the world revolves around them like they were some throwback to the Cartesian universe, and the seven spheres encircles them with righteousness. Come on booby! Pooky? You hear me out there ruffles! You know who you were back in the days playing Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas with Robin Williams. Did you ever think back then that you be playing Billy flag bearer for the preppie princess President we've got today? Ah huh, don't think so. Most likely you'd be ogling Jenna's legs and wondering where the SNL after party was.

Look, no one is saying that you can't love and care about the welfare of your family. But God knows your libertarian ideals would be appalled by the concept of anyone infringing on your freedoms, so why endorse the concept by preaching the word of Bush? The man who, as you said, "Put honor and respectability back in the White House." Sure I guess he did if being dishonorable and unrespectable is being honorable and respectable. He's flipped more on the reasons of the war than a IHOP pancake, and has more listening posts than Liz Smith on crack. If life was the beginning and end of America then there never would have been a revolution, and we'd all be British subjects, safe and secure living under the Union Jack. But our founders had something greater, something wonderful, in mind when the Declaration was signed. They had a dream that life would not be worth living if it was done under the tyranny of the rich, and subject to their whims and desires. Your whole routine is a retrograde back to a surf mentality, where as long as we do what the boss wants we'll all make out fine, just getting along to get by. If I need to hear that crap I'll just turn on Fox News.

I suppose I get upset about Miller only because I expect more reason and intelligence out of my childhood idol. But perhaps getting disappointed is really what getting older means, and you truly reach maturity when you discover that your heroes have been taken over by pod people from planet nine. But not to worry, there's always George Carlin.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong, and I am outta here.

No comments:

LabPixies TV